Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Avalyn... the pregnancy

So that brings us to just about a year ago.  I gave up the control I thought I had and gave it over to God.  We went for several months not trying to get pregnant but not not trying.  I found out I was pregnant in January.  I was nervouse but excited.  I had also wrestled with the idea of having another boy.  I wanted to have a girl but knew the chances were small.  But I gave it over to God as well and trusted His way.

When I went to my first doctors appointment I went through the usually paper work and blood tests and then went to see the doctor.  She went to check for a heart beat and could not find one.  She was in a hurry to go deliver a baby but had the nurse set up an ultra sound for that day so we could see if everything was all right.  I remember bursting into tears as she had search with the doppler to find her heart beat.  I immedately called Shaun and was so worried.  When I went in for the ultra sound there she was as fine as could be with a great heart beat.  I am so glad that I had that ultra sound because I will get to cherish the picture of her even when she was so tiny.



When we had our next ultra sound at 21weeks we were so thrilled to find out if she was to be a girl or a boy.  We didn't have the technichian tell us at the appointment instead we had her write it down and had a friend ready to make a pink or blue cake at a reveal party for us.  Our friends all gathered together and we celebrated as we found out it was a girl! 



Shaun and I would frequently talk about how ecxited we were to be having a girl.  On shopping trips we would go to the baby section and finally get to look at all the cute clothes.  And Shaun would say you should just get it when I would find something I really liked :)  or even would pick things out himself to buy which is something he would never do with the boys.  We joked that she was going to be so spoiled.  

There was one person in the family that was not so excited to have a sister. :) Eli was rooting for a boy. He would say he didn't want to have pink toys in the house.  But as time went on he was the one that got really excited to have a sister.  He loved her and wanted to protect her even if he wouldn't tell other people that.  He would come to my belly every day and talk to Avalyn.  He would tell her he loved her and give a hug to her before bed.  She also would respond to him when he would touch my belly and when he would talk to her by moving around toward him. 

Ian was wanting a sister from the very beginning.  He was a little more timid to touch my belly or talk to her but he was anticipating the day when he could help out with her and love on her.  He would joke that he and Eli would help in the night when she was going to cry.  He would say Eli you have to feed her and I will change her diaper.  He was ready to be a big brother again!

When I had the boys we lived off of nothing so a fully decorated nursery was never a reality for them.  But for Avalyn I was finally able to put together a real nursery.  I had a plan in my head and went out to garage sales and found deals online and put together the room that I had envisioned in my head.  My friend Jess helped me sew a blanket, bumper pad and curtains to go in her room.  




One week Shaun took Ian on a special 5 day fishing trip.  Eli and I stayed home.  During that time Eli was a big helper.  We put together the crib and shelves for Avalyn's nursery.  During that time we also talked about how things would be when Avalyn came.  One of the things we talked about was swaddling.  I had bought these swaddle blankets and Eli was curious about them.  So we grabbed a stuffed animal and I taught him how to swaddle.  I told him that he could help me swaddle his sister when she came.

More to come later...












2 comments:

  1. The picture in my mind of Eli swaddling the stuffed animal touches my heart, as I know it did yours, Lindsay. I also loved reading about Ian looking forward to taking care of little Avalyn. What a beautiful story to write out and keep in memory of sweet little Avalyn. The Lord is good, all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your intimate details. It's touching to read.

    ReplyDelete